Baylor head coach Matt Rhule was close to becoming

liny195 liny195

Baylor head coach Matt Rhule was close to becoming

 Jets head coach Matt Rhule earlier this year White Brian Winters Jerseys , but talks with the team never got over the finish line because of a disagreement about the makeup of Rhule’s coaching staff.Rhule spoke with Peter King last week and said that the experience of interviewing will make him a better coach because it “refines your own philosophy when you go back to your job.” He also said that he wasn’t left with any regrets about how things wound up.“No, not at all,” Rhule said, via . “I’m great. I have a great job. That’s been the one thing … I wasn’t out trying to get a job. We’re building a football program that was in a bad place. I’ll look back someday and say, ‘Hey, we did something good from a human perspective. We’ve made a change in the world for the better.’ And we have a chance to win. I’m in a great place for football. It was really cool being a guy who spent his childhood in New York, huge sports fan, used to go to Knicks and Mets games all the time Brian Winters Jerseys 2019 , to go through that process with the Jets. Good people. Very cool experience.”Rhule’s name came up in conjunction with the Colts job in 2018, so there’s a good chance he’ll get other looks if he can win at Baylor. Even if he doesn’t, Kliff Kingsbury showed this year that failing to win in college isn’t guaranteed to disqualify you from taking the next step up the coaching ladder. Sam Darnold showed he could recover from a careless mistake — a promising trait for any rookie quarterback.What the New York Jets displayed on defense and special teams may have been even more encouraging for Darnold and his teammates.Darnold threw an interception on the very first snap of his NFL career — and it was run back for a Detroit touchdown — but New York’s quarterback shouldn’t sweat that too much after the Jets stormed back and routed the Lions 48-17 on Monday night. Darnold threw for 198 yards and two touchdowns, and the Jets also scored on defense and special teams.“We’re going to play better every game, that’s our goal,” wide receiver Quincy Enunwa said. “Obviously you can’t always make it happen, that’s going to be what we’re striving for. All three phases being successful, scoring on all three phases. When you can do that White Bilal Powell Jerseys , you can be a pretty good team.”Darnold earned the starting job after the Jets drafted him third overall in this year’s draft. His performance alone was cause for excitement Monday, but on this night, New York seemed to have a pretty solid cast around him as well. The Jets intercepted Matthew Stafford four times in a dismal debut for new Lions coach Matt Patricia.“Give the Jets credit. They obviously are the ones that played well tonight,” Patricia said. “We have to do better, I have to coach better and we have to play better.”New York scored 31 unanswered points in the final 9:36 of the third quarter after the Lions had tied it at 17. Darron Lee returned an interception for a touchdown, and Andre Roberts scored on a 78-yard punt return 67 seconds later.What we learned from New York’s resounding win:REBOUNDDarnold’s start to this game was pretty much the worst-case scenario. On the first play from scrimmage, his ill-advised throw sailed toward the left sideline and was picked off by Quandre Diggs, who returned it 37 yards for a 7-0 lead. That was Darnold’s only major error Bilal Powell Jerseys 2019 , however. He not only showed he could play well in prime time on the road, he also showed he could handle adversity.The 21-year-old Darnold was the youngest quarterback to start a season opener since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. He was also the first quarterback to win his first start by 31 or more points since Tom Brady in 2001, per ESPN Stats & Info.STUCK IN NEUTRALThe Lions were unimpressive in the preseason, but it’s always tough to tell how much that really matters. This opener confirmed this team has issues. It was the most lopsided loss for Detroit in an opener since a 45-0 shellacking at Washington in 1991. (Of course, the Lions ended up making the NFC title game that season).Detroit had scored at least 25 points in seven straight season openers, an NFL record. That streak is now over.Perhaps most distressing, the Jets said they had a read on Stafford’s signals.“We were calling out their plays as he was getting up to the line,” Lee said.NO BALANCEDetroit did a lot to try to shore up the running game this offseason White Trevor Siemian Jerseys , drafting Kerryon Johnson and adding LeGarrette Blount. It was enough of an overhaul that Ameer Abdullah was inactive for the opener.The Lions ended up with 39 yards on 15 carries. Blount ran four times for minus-3 yards. Not a good sign.“I know it sounds crazy, but we’re a lot better football team than we showed,” tackle Taylor Decker said. “I think we all know that and we’re all secure and comfortable with that. We’ll get better moving forward.”X-FACTOR?Maybe it was just poor coverage by Detroit, but Roberts also had a 43-yard punt return in the first quarter in addition to his touchdown.EXPECTATIONSOne victory doesn’t make the Jets a Super Bowl team, but the lopsided nature of this one is hard to ignore, and now New York has winnable games the next two weeks against Miami and at Cleveland.Detroit is at San Francisco next weekend.